The Department of Education at South Campus, Anantnag was established in 2009 offering two courses, M. A. Education and M. Ed., with an intake capacity of 70 and 78 respectively. The department has a spacious building fully equipped and maintained on modern lines that paves a lucid atmosphere for the smooth teaching learning process. The department has a legacy of imparting quality education reflected by students who qualify various competitive examinations at National/State Level (NET/SET/JRF/CTET). The pass outs of this department are serving as Assistant professors, Lecturers, teachers in various educational institutions (government/private), besides that a good number of our students are pursuing research programmers and are also working on various research projects at different State/Central Universities—AMU, JMI, UOK, CUK, CUJ etc.
The Department organizes special school visits, field visits and educational tours. The department regularly organizes extension lectures wherein experts from different educational institutions (TISS, AMU, JMI, JNU, UOK etc) interact with students and discuss varied issues pertaining to society in general and education in particular. The department has its own well-equipped library having more than 4000 books with separate reading rooms. The department has started its own Guidance and Counseling cell that facilitates students to prepare for various competitive exams and admissions for research degree in prestigious institutes.
Objectives of the Department:
- Develop skills for scholarly investigation, pursuit of new knowledge, and to disseminate knowledge to others.
- Students are accomplished in integrating scientific principles and knowledge with professional practice to address efficiently the needs and aspirations of individuals, families, groups, organizations, and public policy issues.
- Work effectively and in collaboration with other organizations.
- Create and maintain the cultural openness within and outside the Department.
- To develop research aptitude among students to overcome challenges in education system by conducting substantial research with a professional touch.
Seminars and Workshops :
The Department organizes Seminars and workshops, the theme and focus encompasses a wide range of issues pertaining to society in general and education in particular. Documentaries of historical and educational importance vare also screened to inculcate comprehensive understanding in students about events and issues that are relevant to prescribed syllabus to enhance effective learning.
Future Programmes :
- The department is going to start a departmental journal very soon.
- Community outreach programmes to develop interface by reaching out to weaker and marginalized sections by adopting selective schools of remote and far-flung areas
- Establishing strong and cordial relationships with the institutions of national and international reputation.
- Efforts are on to Establish a separate department of teacher education.
- The department is going to establish Mathematics Lab, Home Science Lab, and Educational Technology Lab in the near future.